The delectable duo met twelve years ago while working at The Junction and four years ago started performing burlesque. By day Cherry is a costume and set designer and Ruby is a filmmaker but both love thinking up ideas, making costumes and performing their titillating themed routines.
“Burlesque is about what you don’t show, not what you do,” says Ruby, “It’s more about your personality, routine, costume and being a bit cheeky.”
“I was an ugly duckling when I was younger,” says Ruby. “I was never one of the girls allowed to wear the sparkly costumes in dance class, I was put in neon socks at the back, which is perhaps why I’m so drawn to beautiful costumes now.”
Both women constantly adapt their costumes using a variety of materials including a wedding dress bought on eBay for £35 that has since become part of a Marie Antoinette-style costume.
“It takes a good 45 minutes to get dressed for a four minute routine,” says Ruby, “but the only hassle is the number of tights we ladder.”
“Because we’re best friends, we think in the same way and can ring each other up any time of the day or night saying ‘I’ve just had an idea!’ We spur each other on and wouldn’t be doing burlesque if we hadn’t met.”
What their jeweller says…
“I loved making the headpieces for Cherry and Ruby,” says Hannah Collins (www.Hannah-Collins.com).
“They like to be daring and so I can let my creativity run as far as I want it to.”
“I met Ruby as I am her hair stylist as well,” continues Hannah. “I am hoping to do some of their vintage hair styling as well as design some more accessories for their up coming events.”
Add a touch of sparkle to your life with inside info from Cambridge’s burlesque performers
- Be ready for your close-up: Cherry and Ruby collaborate closely with photographer Jemma Mickleburgh (www.jmaphotofraphy.co.uk) for their promotional photos and she took the chandelier photo above
- Be a pin-up: Check out the 1950’s rockabilly dresses and playsuits that Cherry and Ruby love to wear by retro pin-up star Bernie Dexter (http://www.berniedexter.com/)
- Be hands on: Why not try adapting your existing clothes?
- Be on the scene: Burlesque club nights in Cambridge include Salon Rouge at the Junction (http://www.junction.co.uk/) and Neon Moon at Hidden Rooms (www.hiddenthing.com)
- Be seen… in all the right places: The girls have been known to pose on the polished bar at Cambridge’s exclusive 12A Club (http://www.12aclub.com/)
- Be there: Cherry and Ruby (www.cherryandruby.co.uk) are performing at Lodestar on 1st September (http://www.lodestarfestival.com/)